Breaking News

AJ Odudu quits Strictly just one day before final after ‘traumatic’ injury

AJ Odudu has quit Strictly just one day before the final after suffering a devastating ankle injury.

The TV presenter, 33, was forced to pull out the BBC show with just 24 hours to go before the finale episode after the “traumatic” injury left her unable to stand.

The BBC released a statement saying AJ and her dance partner Kai would not be competing in Saturday’s final, The Mirror reports.

It comes after Tilly Ramsay was forced to pull out of the grand finale this week after testing positive for coronavirus.

It leaves just John Whaite and Rose Ayling Ellis and their partners to battle it out for the Glitterball Trophy.



A “traumatic” injury left her unable to stand

AJ said she was deeply upset she had to leave the show and said: “I am unable to perform in the final due to a torn ligament in my right ankle.

“Learning to dance over the last 13 weeks has been an incredible honour and to do it alongside someone as special, patient and devoted as Kai is something I’ll treasure forever.

“Thank you to the Strictly family for the experience, the medical team for trying to get me back on my feet and mostly, to everyone at home for watching and supporting. You’ve made this experience one to remember.

“Strictly Come Dancing has been a lifelong dream and I’m glad it came true. Good luck to my partners in dance, John & Johannes and Rose and Giovanni. I will be cheering you on (on one leg!)”.

Now Saturday’s live final will see just John Whaite and Johannes Radebe and Rose Ayling Ellis and Giovanni Pernice compete for the Glitterball Trophy.

AJ, whose dance partner is Kai Widdrington, shared a snap of herself on Instagram on Wednesday with a pair of crutches as she rested up after an appearance on Strictly – It Takes Two.



AJ and her dance partner Kai will not be competing in Saturday’s final

She captioned the post: “I’ve got a repeated traumatic impact injury to my right ankle affecting the joint, capsule and ligaments themselves.

“I can’t pinpoint a moment it actually happened during training but the pain came on suddenly on Monday night.

“The pain was so acute that I projectile vomited and currently I can’t put any weight on my right foot without agonising discomfort.”

AJ revealed she has been unable to walk without crutches and therefore couldn’t rehearse.

AJ’s emotional post came after she broke down in tears during an appearance on Wednesday’s It Takes Two she updated host Janette Manrara on her condition.

Top news stories today

“I’m upset because we were so excited on Monday, we’ve got three amazing dances that we really, really want to perform,” she said crying.

“I know I’m upset but I am genuinely remaining hopeful and I’m surrounded by a really great medical team who are trying their best to get me back on my feet.”

The Strictly Come Dancing final is on BBC One on Saturday at 7pm.



AJ Odudu quits Strictly just one day before final after ‘traumatic’ injury
Balita Ngayon Philippines

No comments