Breaking News

Emma Raducanu wins 2021 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award

Emma Raducanu has already had an incredible year as she ends it being crowned BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.

The 19-year-old was in with some stiff competition as Olympic gold medalist Tom Daley took second place, and Adam Peaty was in third.

The other nominees who were looking to pick up the prestigious gold gong were boxer Tyson Fury, footballer Raheem Sterling and Para-cyclist Dame Sarah Storey.

She is the first first female tennis player to win the award since Virginia Wade in 1977.

The Brit wasn’t in attendance but appeared via video link to thank everyone for their support.



Emma Raducanu wins BBC Sports Personality of the Year award
Emma Raducanu wins BBC Sports Personality of the Year award

Raducanu shocked the world en route to winning the US Open in September.

She made history by becoming the first player to win a grand slam in the open era after coming through the qualifying stages.

The teen she holds the record for the fewest majors played before winning a title and became the first British woman to win a grand slam since Wade won Wimbledon in 1977.

Due to her phenomenal exploits on the court, Raducanu became the British number one and is now inside the world’s top 20.

She first burst onto the scene at Wimbledon this summer, when she reached the fourth round.

Is Raducanu a deserved recipient of the SPOTY award? Let us know in the comments section.

Away from the court, Raducanu has been presented with some exciting opportunities, such as attending the Met Gala, gracing Vogue magazine and signed a deal with Evian.

Looking back on her breakthrough 2021 prior to the awards ceremony, Raducanu said: “This year has been a journey – I think that’s the biggest word.

“If you were to draw the journey, basically it would just not make sense, the trajectory and where it went.

“I’m so grateful and actually proud of myself. That is why that holiday in the Caribbean last month was so good for me because I could take a step back and really appreciate how far I have come.”

She added: “I feel like I’ve learned quite a lot of things and the biggest thing is just patience with myself and just being kind to myself because sometimes you can get so caught up in the result or what just happened and you forget how far you have come.

“Because you’re just so focused on what’s going on. So I took a step back. I look at where I started in January, February or March and then where I finished the year.

“Under every circumstance I would have taken that at the beginning. So I’m proud of myself for sure. And that’s the biggest lesson – to be a bit nicer.”

Other SPOTY 2021 Winners – full list

Gareth Southgate – Coach of the Year

England men’s football team – Team of the Year

Rachael Blackmore – World Sport Star of the Year

Sky Brown – Young Sports Personality of the Year

Jennifer Beattie – Helen Rollason Award

Sam Barlow – SPOTY Unsung Hero award

Simone Biles – Lifetime Achievement Award

Top news stories today

Get the latest celebrity gossip and telly news sent straight to your inbox. Sign up to our weekly Showbiz newsletter here .



Emma Raducanu wins 2021 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award
Balita Ngayon Philippines

No comments